Yes, You can wear Nike dunks in the rain but with some precautions. Nike Dunks is a popular and stylish sneaker worn in various weather conditions, including rainy days. However, their level of water resistance is not strong and should not be worn in the rain often, or else the shoe will begin to crack.
Since the Dunks are not waterproof, you should not always wear them in the rain. Also, it would help if you allowed the shoes to dry before wearing them again. While some materials are more water-resistant than others, there are ways to protect your Nike Dunks from the rain and keep them looking their best.
In this article, we’ll explore the materials used in Nike Dunks, offer tips for waterproofing them, and provide advice on how to maintain and style them on rainy days. If you want to know more, read on.
What Are Nike Dunks Made Of?
Nike Dunks are typically made with a combination of a variety of materials, including leather, suede, and synthetic fabrics. The resistance of these materials to water can vary, so it’s essential to understand how each material performs in wet conditions.
Leather is a natural material often used in the construction of Nike Dunks. While leather can be water-resistant to some extent, it’s not entirely waterproof.
Prolonged exposure to water can cause the leather to become saturated and potentially damaged, so it’s important to take steps to protect the leather from moisture.
Suede is a type of leather with a napped finish, giving it a soft and fuzzy texture. Suede is more delicate than other types of leather and can be more susceptible to water damage.
Nike Dunks may also be made with synthetic fabrics like mesh or synthetic leather. These materials can vary in their resistance to water, but many are designed to be water-resistant or waterproof.
However, it’s important to note that synthetic materials may not breathe as well as natural materials and can cause your feet to sweat, leading to discomfort.
Tips on How To Waterproof Nike Dunks
Waterproofing your Nike Dunks can help protect them from moisture and extend their lifespan. Here are some tips and advice for waterproofing your Nike Dunks:
- Use a waterproofing spray: A waterproofing spray is an easy and effective way to protect your Nike Dunks from moisture. Simply spray the shoes evenly and allow them to dry before wearing them. Be sure to use a spray specifically designed for the materials used in your Nike Dunks.
- Apply a beeswax treatment: A beeswax treatment can help waterproof leather and suede shoes. Simply melt the beeswax in a double boiler, apply it to the shoes with a cloth, and then use a hair dryer to melt the wax into the material. Be sure to test this method on a small, inconspicuous shoe area first to ensure it doesn’t cause any damage.
- Use a waterproofing wax: A waterproofing wax can be applied to leather and synthetic shoes to help protect them from moisture. Simply apply the wax to the shoes and buff them with a clean, dry cloth to remove any excess wax.
- Avoid wearing your Nike Dunks in heavy rain: While waterproofing can help protect your shoes from moisture, it’s still best to avoid wearing them in heavy rain or other extreme weather conditions. Consider wearing a different pair of shoes specifically designed for wet weather conditions.
- Always dry your Nike Dunks properly: If your Nike Dunks do get wet, it’s important to dry them properly to prevent damage to the materials. Stuff the shoes with newspaper to help absorb the moisture and allow them to air dry in a cool, dry place.
How To Maintain Your Nike Dunks And Make Them Last Longer
If your Nike Dunks have been exposed to rain or other forms of moisture, it’s important to properly clean and maintain them to prevent damage and prolong their lifespan. Here are some tips for cleaning and maintaining your Nike Dunks after they’ve been exposed to moisture:
- Remove any excess moisture: Use a clean, dry cloth to remove any excess moisture on the shoes. Stuff the shoes with newspaper or a clean, dry towel to help absorb any remaining moisture. Then air dries them.
- Brush off any dirt or debris: Use a soft-bristled brush or a clean, dry cloth to gently remove any dirt or debris from the shoes.
- Clean the shoes: Use mild soap and warm water to clean the shoes, being careful not to saturate the materials. Gently scrub the shoes with a soft-bristled brush or cloth, paying extra attention to any particularly dirty or stained areas. Rinse the shoes thoroughly with clean water and let them air dry in a cool, dry place.
- Condition the shoes: After cleaning your Nike Dunks, apply a leather or suede conditioner to help keep the materials soft and supple. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for application and allow the shoes to dry completely before wearing them.
- Protect the shoes: Use a waterproofing spray or other product designed to repel water to help protect your Nike Dunks from future moisture exposure. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for application and reapply the product as needed.
Nike Dunks Alternatives For Rainy Days
If you’re looking for shoes that are specifically designed for wet weather conditions, there are several alternatives to Nike Dunks that you may want to consider:
- Vans Sk8-Hi MTE: The Vans Sk8-Hi MTE is a popular sneaker designed to withstand cold and wet weather conditions. The shoe features a waterproof upper, a warm lining, and a rugged outsole that provides excellent traction on wet and slippery surfaces.
- Converse Chuck Taylor All-Star Waterproof Boot: The Converse Chuck Taylor All-Star Waterproof Boot is a waterproof version of the classic Chuck Taylor sneaker. The shoe features a waterproof leather upper, a fleece lining for warmth, and a durable rubber outsole with excellent traction.
- Timberland 6-Inch Premium Waterproof Boot: The Timberland 6-Inch Premium Waterproof Boot is a classic work boot designed for wet weather conditions. The shoe features a waterproof leather upper, a padded collar for comfort, and a durable rubber outsole that provides excellent traction on wet and slippery surfaces.
- Sperry Saltwater Duck Boot: The Sperry Saltwater Duck Boot is popular for wet weather conditions. The shoe features a waterproof rubber upper, a micro-fleece lining for warmth, and a non-marking rubber outsole that provides excellent traction on wet surfaces.
With suitable materials and waterproofing techniques, Nike Dunks can be a good choice for wearing in the rain. Following the tips and recommendations outlined in this article, you can protect your sneakers from water damage and keep them looking stylish and fresh, no matter the weather.